British Airways’ frequent flyer programme, Executive Club, is cutting the number of Avios (the name of BA’s air miles points) needed to book a Reward flight. A Reward flight is the name BA uses to describe flights bought using air miles.
Members who book a Reward flight using Avios points by November 21, 2019 for travel before April 30, 2020, will use 50 per cent less Avios than they would normally on World Traveller (long haul economy) and World Traveller Plus (long haul premium economy) redemptions. Club World (long haul business class) and First redemptions can be booked with 10 per cent less Avios.
This means that customers would need 13,000 Avios for a return World Traveller ticket to New York, half the 26,000 usually required. Or they would need 90,000 for a Club World return to the Big Apple, reduced from 100,000. Across all long-haul flights, customers need to pay for taxes, fees and carrier charges. Further examples include:
- World Traveller return: 16,250 Avios, down from 32,500
- World Traveller Plus return: 32,500 Avios, down from 65,000
- Club World return: 112,500 Avios, down from 125,000
- First return: 153,000 Avios, down from 170,000
Johannesburg or Los Angeles:
- World Traveller return: 19,500 Avios, down from 39,000
- World Traveller Plus return: 39,000 Avios, down from 78,000
- Club World return: 135,000 Avios, down from 150,000
- First return: 183,600 Avios, down from 204,000
50 per cent bonus Avios
Alongside the discounted Reward flights, the British Airways Executive Club is offering 50 per cent bonus Avios when customers gift or purchase Avios before November 21, 2019. Minimum gift or purchase is 1,000 up to 200,000 maximum, which equals a bonus between 500 to 100,000 Avios. These bonus Avios can be spent in the same way as normal Avios, including on Reward flights, upgrades, hotels, car rental and being used for part payment.
Hotel discount deal
British Airways Executive Club Members can also get 20 per cent off the amount of Avios needed to book hotels rated 3* or above in New York, Boston, Dubai, Singapore, Johannesburg and Washington. Members must book by November 21, 2019, for travel before April 30, 2020.